Types of mental health is the name I have given to this project.
The name is a play of words which signifies a few things:
- I have been producing illustrations using letterpress, to try and produce an uncontrolled, irrational, and confusing pieces of artwork, which I am trying to illustrate the feelings of Mental Health problems through this process and the artworks themselves. Therefore, the word ‘Types’ in the title relates to the fact that I am using typography tools to make art.
- To display my new found artworks in relation to this description of my work, I am using the charity MIND in order to collect information of different Mental Health problems that people suffer with, therefore, the title responds to the different types of mental health I can find.
- Bringing both descriptions and illustrations together, I will be showcasing them in the form of a quotes book, of which quotes have been taken from MIND.com.
Producing my book on InDesign was key for positioning and layout. I wanted my book to have a simple, intimate and personal attachment to the reader, so I opted for simple photo and text combination spread.
I have looked at an artist Lucy Lane from which I got some inspiration from her quote books.
Creating a cover for the book was purely based on type. Due to the nature of the artwork, I wanted to use the letterpress style for the title and cover. I decided to highlight the key words, so that the title could be read in different ways:
- Types of illustrative typography art therapy to help relieve symptoms of mental health
- Types of mental health
- Type art therapy
- Illustrative typography art therapy to help relieve symptoms of mental health
I have my book printed from a professional printers, for better paper quality and for a softcover, glue bound, finish.
Below are images of a few pages within the book…